Mixed Bean Burger
- 1 can (14 oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14 oz.) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14 oz.) sweet peas
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup oats, processed into flour
- 1/2 cup warm water mixed with 3 tablespoons ground flax (or 1 whole egg)
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. cayenne
- 1 tsp. hot sauce
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped (or other nuts)
- Preheat an oven to 375° F.
- Bring 4 cups of water to a boil. Add the lentils to the boiling water, let cook for 5 minutes, and then simmer for 10-15 minutes. When the lentils are tender, drain the excess water and rinse the lentils until the water runs clear. Set aside.
- Combine the ground flax with the warm water and let sit for 10 minutes.
- In a blender, puree the lentils with 1/2 of each can of the beans. Pour the mixture into a large bowl with the remaining beans, quinoa, oat flour, garlic, red onion, red pepper, walnuts, flax egg, and spices. Taste the mixture and adjust the spices to your liking.
- Refrigerate the “burger” mixture for 1 hour. To form the patties, form 10 balls. Drop the balls onto a parchment-lined sheet, and press down lightly with your fingers to flatten. Repeat with remaining mixture. Bake for 12 minutes on one side, flip carefully with a spatula, and bake on the other side for another 12 minutes.
Makes about 10 burgers.