Ham and Navy Bean Soup
- 1 lb. Great Northern beans, pre-soaked
- 1 bunch kale, ripped from the stem and chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium tomato, peeled and chopped
- 1 lb. ham, cubed
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups water
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. dried mint
- 1 tsp. thyme
- 1 tsp. paprika
- Place the beans in a large saucepan with about 7 cups water. Cover and let stand overnight, or at least 6-8 hours. Drain the soak water and rinse.
- In the same saucepan, add cold water to cover the pre-soaked beans by about 1 inch. Bring the beans to a boil over high heat, boiling for 5 minutes.
- After boiling, add the sliced carrot, tomato, onion, garlic, and ham. Add in the salt, pepper, paprika, crushed mint, and thyme.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally, or until the beans are tender.
- Serve the soup while it’s warm.
Makes about 8 Servings