Mexican Breakfast Casserole
- 1 can (14 oz.) black beans or pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 2-cans (10 oz.) Rotel tomatoes, drained
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 cups reduced fat shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 2 slices turkey bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup liquid egg whites
- 1/2 cup milk of choice (unsweetened almond, coconut, or skim milk)
- 1/2 Tbsp. Tabasco sauce
- 8 corn tortillas
- In a large bowl, stir together the beans, tomatoes, and salt. Spread about 1/4 cup of the bean mixture on the bottom of a greased 9×9-inch baking dish. Place 4 tortillas over the bean mixture, overlapping the tortillas slightly.
- Layer half of the bean mixture and then 1 cup of shredded cheese over the tortillas. Add another layer with the remaining 4 tortillas. Top with the remaining bean mixture. Sprinkle the crumbled bacon over bean mixture.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, egg whites, milk, and Tabasco sauce. Pour the egg mixture over everything. Cover, and chill for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Cover the baking pan tightly with foil. Bake the dish for 35 minutes. After the time has elapsed, remove the foil and top with the remaining cup of cheese. Return to the oven, and bake, uncovered, for another 5-10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
- Let the dish stand 5-10 minutes to cool, uncovered, before serving.
Makes about 8 servings