Red Grapefruit Salsa
- 2 large red grapefruit (about 1 pound each)
- 1 medium tomato, finely chopped
- 1 cup diced green and/or yellow bell pepper
- 1 jalapeño pepper, minced
- ½ cup chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Working over a medium bowl, cut a thin slice off the top and bottom of the fruit with a large sharp knife. Place on a cutting board. Remove the peel and white pith below, following the curve of the fruit as you go.
- Switch to a small sharp knife and cut each segment from the surrounding membranes. Squeeze any extra juice from the membranes, if desired. Squeeze the membranes to extract any extra juice. Drain all the juice into a separate bowl and set aside.
- Add tomato, bell pepper, jalapeño, onion, lime juice and ½ teaspoon salt to the fruit; mix well. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to 2 hours. Stir in cilantro just before serving.