Tart and tangy with an underlying sweetness, grapefruit has a juiciness that rivals that of the ever popular orange and sparkles with many of the same health promoting benefits.
- Like oranges, grapefruit is an excellent source of vitamin C, a vitamin that helps to support the immune system.
- The rich pink and red colors of grapefruit are due to lycopene, a carotenoid phytonutrient. that appears to have anti-tumor/cancer activity.
- Phytonutrients in grapefruit called limonoids inhibit tumor formation and help to stave off cancer.
Best Ways to Use
- Grapefruit sections add a tangy spark to green salads.
- Instead of your morning orange, have a grapefruit instead.
- Combine diced grapefruit with cilantro and chili peppers to make a unique salsa.
- To enjoy a salad with a tropical flair, combine chopped grapefruit pieces, cooked shrimp and avocados and serve on a bed of romaine lettuce.