Quinoa Stuffed Tomatoes
¼ cup quinoa, rinsed
⅔ cup reduced-sodium vegetable broth
4 medium-to-large sized tomatoes (about 1⅔ pounds)
¼ tsp sea salt
⅛ tsp black pepper
3 tablespoons Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated
2 tablespoons fresh basil, finely chopped
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine the quinoa and broth in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and stir. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 10-15, or until broth has been absorbed and the quinoa is fluffy.
- Meanwhile, slice the top off the tomatoes (about ½-inch thick). Cut around the stems, discard stems and dice the remaining tomato tops. Set aside in a medium-size bowl. Use a spoon to scoop out the pulp and seeds from the tomatoes, discard. Place the tomatoes in an 8”x 8” baking dish. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the cheese, basil, parsley and oil to the bowl with the diced tomato pieces.
- When quinoa has finished cooking, stir it into the filling. Using a ⅓ cup, stuff each tomato shell with filling. Bake the tomatoes for 12 minutes, or until warmed through and the tomato skins are slightly wrinkly.