Baked Eggplant Fries
1 large eggplant (roughly 10 ounces)
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper
1/2 cup crushed bran cereal
2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
1 large egg white
Non fat cooking spray
Low sugar marinara sauce (as needed)
- Preheat the oven to 450°. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and lightly spray with oil.
- Cut ends off the eggplant. Slice eggplant in half, then into 1/4 inch thick slices. Lay each slice on the cutting board and cut into 1/4 inch strips. Be sure to cut all the strips the same size so they cook evenly.
- Place eggplant strips in a bowl and season with olive oil, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Combine bran cereal and parmesan cheese in a bowl, and egg whites in another.
- Dip a few strips of eggplant at a time into the egg whites, then into the breadcrumbs. Using a fork, remove eggplant from crumbs and place on the baking sheets. Spray with more oil and bake 10 minutes in the middle rack.
- Turn over and bake an additional 5 minutes, or until golden.
- Serve hot. Serve with low sugar marinara sauce if desired.