Stovetop Mac and Cheese
16 ounces’ whole wheat macaroni noodles
2 cups milk (almond, coconut, skim)
1⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
3⁄4 teaspoon salt
3⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
1 cup low-fat cheddar cheese
1⁄8 teaspoon hot sauce, or Tabasco
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain.
- While macaroni is cooking, in a large saucepan over medium heat, whisk together milk, flour, salt, onion powder and pepper until blended.
- Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, stirring often until thickened (2 to 5 minutes).
- Remove from heat; stir in cheese and hot sauce.
- Toss cooked macaroni with sauce.