Lasagna Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
2 medium spaghetti squash
1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
salt and pepper
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
20 ounces 99% lean ground turkey or ground beef
1 lb can crushed tomatoes
2 teaspoons dried or finely chopped fresh oregano, divided
2 teaspoons dried or finely chopped fresh basil, divided
2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes, optional
1/2 cup part skim ricotta cheese
1/2 cup nonfat cottage cheese
1 cup shredded part skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 400. Slice spaghetti squash length wise and scrape out the seeds. Rub 1/4 tbsp olive oil into each squash half and season with salt and pepper. Place each spaghetti squash half face down in a large baking dish and bake for 40-60 min. When squash is done, middle will be tender and pull apart easily.
- In a large pan, sauté onion and garlic in remaining 1/2 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat until fragrant. Add ground turkey. Season with a generous pinch each of salt and pepper. Cook until browned. Add crushed tomato and 1 teaspoon each basil and oregano. When sauce starts to bubble, reduce heat to a simmer until thickened (about 3-4 minutes).
- Meanwhile, combine ricotta and cottage cheese in a medium bowl. Season with 1 teaspoon each basil and oregano. Add a pinch each of salt and pepper. Lightly mix until combined.
- When spaghetti squash is fully cooked, flip in the baking dish so that it is now skin side down. Evenly divide ricotta mixture between each squash half. Repeat with meat sauce. Top each half with 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese.
- Turn oven to broil, and cook for an other 2 minutes, until cheese is browned and bubbling. This happens very quickly–make sure to watch closely, otherwise it can burn easily. Serve immediately. Leftovers may be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to one week.