Green Bean and Potato Casserole
- 1 pound fresh green beans, stem ends trimmed and cut in half
- 6 red new potatoes, medium dice
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 ounces’ baby bella mushrooms, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- ½ cup milk of choice
- ½ cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 350º F. Spray a 9×9-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Bring a medium stock pot of salted water to a boil. Blanch the beans in the water for 5-7 minutes, until tender-crisp. Transfer them to a bowl of ice water and set aside.
- Bring the water back up to a boil, and par cook the potatoes for 4-6 minutes, until they begin to soften and a fork can easily be inserted into them. Drain and set aside.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, melt the butter with the onions, mushrooms, and garlic for 6-8 minutes, until the onions become translucent and the mushrooms are very soft. Stir in the flour and cook for about 30 seconds. Over medium heat, stir in the milk and chicken broth, bringing to a boil and stirring frequently. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Drain the iced green beans and place in a large bowl with the drained potatoes. Add the sauce, and fold them all together.
- Transfer the green bean mixture to the prepared baking dish and top with Bake at 350º F for 25-30 minutes.
- Garnish with sesame seeds after baking.