Toasted Quinoa Salad
1 cup dry quinoa
2 cups water
1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
¼ cup fresh mint, chopped
¼ red onion, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh ginger root
1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
4 tablespoons lime juice
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ cup walnut pieces
- Brown the dry quinoa in a skillet over medium heat, stirring consistently for about 6 minutes.
- Bring the water, ginger, jalapeno, and salt to a rolling boil. Add the quinoa, cover, and reduce heat to low. Simmer with a tight lid until all or most of the liquid is absorbed, about 12 minutes.
- Transfer to a fine mesh strainer and fluff with a fork.
- After the quinoa has cooled, add the rest of the ingredients and lightly stir until well blended.
- Store in the refrigerator and serve cool.