- 8 oz. tempeh
- 1 whole egg
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 1/2-1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Crack the egg into a medium bowl. Add about 1 Tbsp. water and whisk until slightly foamy to form an egg wash. Spread the almond flour onto a plate. Cut the tempeh in half widthwise into two squares, then cut each piece in half along the equator to make four thin squares.
- One at a time, dip the tempeh pieces into the egg wash to evenly coat and let the excess drip off. Firmly press both sides of coated tempeh into the almond flour. Repeat the process to bread each piece. Reserve any remaining almond flour.
- Heat the cooking oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the breaded tempeh to the hot pan, and sear for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until browned. Transfer the tempeh to a foil-lined baking sheet and season with salt and pepper.
- Spread 2-4 Tbsp. of the tomato sauce over each piece of tempeh. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and any remaining almond flour. Broil the tempeh for 1-2 minutes, or until the cheese melts and almond flour toasts.
Makes 4 servings.