Slow Cooker Beef Stew
2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
1½ pounds stew meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
4 medium carrots, cut in 1-inch pieces
1 large onion, medium dice
2 large russet potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
4 stalks celery, cut into ½-inch pieces
4 cups organic low-sodium beef broth
1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
4 bay leaves
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the oil. Season the beef with the salt and black pepper, and add to the skillet.
- Add the carrots, onions, potatoes and celery to the slow cooker. Transfer the browned beef from the skillet to the slow cooker.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the beef broth, tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce. Add to the slow cooker along with the bay leaves.
- Cook on low to 6 to 8 hours.
- Discard the bay leaves before serving, and season with salt and black pepper if needed.